Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Free Refills

I am not off to a good start, having already skipped a day and not really bothering to pay attention to what I ate today. Oh well, I think I can fake it....

U.S. Capitol Visitor Center Restaurant 100 Constitution Ave NE
Breakfast

The U.S. Capitol Visitor Center is truly beautiful. It sits beneath the park behind the Capitol. The sky lights offer spectacular views of the expanded Capitol dome, and the to scale replica of Freedom, the statue atop the Capitol is awe inspiring. The restaurant sucks.

That is not really fair, because the food is not the worst you could eat, but it is not particularly good, and it is particularly expensive. The other cafes in the Capitol itself, the ones you probably are not allowed to go to, and even the ones in the House and Senate office buildings offer similar fare, but at two thirds the cost.

My breakfast consisted of a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit and coffee. I was late to work so I didn't have time to be picky, just grab and go. The biscuit was crumbly but fairly moist at the same time. There was only one piece of bacon on the sandwich, though it was large. The bacon was folded in half and was soft so it pulled off the biscuit in a single bite. I hate that. The egg was real, I think, but only a single slice of cheese. The coffee was good, Dunkin Donuts brand. Hot and tasty, and included free refills.

The whole meal was okay, but the sandwich, an 8oz OJ, and a 12 oz cup of coffee cost me $9.59, and that is crap. I give CVCR two bills for quality food, but take three bills away for trying to recoup the billions the project overran its budget by overcharging for the food.

No comments: