Sunday, January 22, 2017

Inauguration Day 2017: My View


I attended my third inauguration Friday. The day was warm, for January, but overcast and a light rain fell off and on throughout the day, though mostly off. It did notably rain just as President Trump began to speak. The crowd was not large, and I saw many protesters, which I document here. The protesters slowed the attendees from entering the gates. Whether or not you agree with the attendees or the protesters it is great to see people active in democracy, even if that activity is as small as bearing witness to the swearing in of a new President. Most of these pics are from Third & D St NW around the Blue Gate.



Internet Sensation Sikh Captain America
The Captain with the PG version of their sign
As noted elsewhere I love Captain America, so no surprise that I found two Caps in the crowd. Sikh Captain America has been a mainstay at large political events this election cycle. I saw him in Cleveland at the RNC and he has made the rounds at other events too. I also found this more anarchist leaning Captian. Who modeled his costume off of the briefly worn design when Captain America was replaced by a mentally unstable but easily manipulated stooge, appropriate.



The highlight of my news gathering was somewhat accidental. While taking a break from shooting near a group of rather vocal jeering protesters, a Trump supporter started verbally mixing it up. Out of growing frustration he threw his Trump signature red "Make America Great Again" hat at the protesting group. Around this time I figured I should stop resting and get back to shooting, so I rolled camera on the protesters in time to see them light the hat on fire. It went up pretty quickly.


There was lots of chanting and good activism. I had left before the black bloc took to the streets across town. In all not a terrible day, though it was lackluster compared to the two Obama inaugurations. The speech was a particular let down. It was not at all about unity and painted a ridiculously bleak picture of the country. I found it insulting really, from the anti-Washington nonsense to the grime portrait of America as a whole. It was not forward looking or optimistic, and feeds directly into the same tired narrative that things are horribly wrong. To quote our new president, "Sad."





Firing everyone including no longer relevant for twenty years Rosie O'Donnell 






No comments: