Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Toast

Taqueria Nacional 400 N Capitol St NW
Breakfast

Snug in the corner between Johnny's on the Half Shell and the main lobby of the Hall of States Building sits Taqueria Nacional, the taco stand of the nation. The little shop serves up some tasty tacos, but I was there for breakfast. The most important meal of the day.

The desayuno menu is modest buy offers some choices. I had the huevos rancheros, scrambled eggs, refried beans, ranchero sauce, and couple of tortillas. The eggs are scrambled en mass, but they have a good flavor, although I suspect they are liquid eggs. The tortillas are also only fair. The highlights of the meal are the refried beans and the ranchero sauce. The beans are the perfect mix of mashed pulp with just a few whole beans for texture. The ranchero sauce though is delightful.

The whole meal is pretty cheap, 5.75 or so gets you a hearty meal. The Taqueria also offers Mayorega coffee which is very rich and hearty brew. I like Taqueria but I take it for granted because it is so close to my work. Overall I give the breakfast 4 peppers.

No comments: