Wednesday, December 17, 2014

RNC Protests

 Tampa hosted the Republican National Convention in 2012 and so it also hosted a couple of protests. The largest protest was on August 27th. The protest started in Perry Harvey Sr Park with a series of speeches and then march to the Tampa Bay Times Forum where the convention was being held.

Unfortunately for all involved Tropical Storm Isaac moved over Tampa on that Monday morning and the RNC cancelled their opening events for the day. The protest would go on despite the weather.

If I recall correctly Jill Stein, the Green Party presidential nominee, did not attend the protest. I think her flight was delayed. Many speakers took the stage at the park, I was there shooting despite the rain and wind. The marchers left and headed for the arena. I'm bad at estimating crowds so I won't guess how many there were. They were mostly peaceful, though they were boisterous.

You can check out some of the footage I shot of the march here.

No comments: