Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Iowa Redux

So I didn't get a laptop for Christmas. I guess I didn't show why one was needed. let this be a lesson.

I'm back in Des Moines, IA. One month later to the day. I am not yet ready to bemoan my position, after all I have only just arrived. Now three beers deep on my first night I am ready to begin some kind of chronology of events.

An introduction seems appropriate. I won't bore you with names since if you are reading this then you are likely someone I know. Just the same you might wonder what I'm doing here. So I am a camera man or more properly an assistant field technician for the cable network CSPAN. It stands to reason then that I am in Des Moines right now to cover the upcoming Iowa Caucus.

In this blog I hope to record what I see and do in regards to the Caucus and a travel log in general.

Des Moines is cold. There is snow on the ground here, a change from Baltimore, where I just left.

Not much action on my first night in town. A brief flight from National followed by calls back home to report my safety and unpacking. then dinner with my crew mates, and my favorite part the post dinner trading of war stories from caucuses past.

It occurs to me that I shouldn't say that I love hearing the war stories without some war stories to post here, but I am new at this so I didn't take any notes at dinner. The best I can do is this.

Someone who worked with/at CSPAN during the 1992 campaign who now has an 18 year old daughter was romantically linked to then candidate Bill Clinton. Forgive my vagueness names were purposely excluded by my workmates so I can only give the above details. I leave it up to you, and me, to try and figure out who that person was.

Tomorrow brings prep work for live broadcasting and the gear to do such, also it promises to give me some free time out in the fair city of Des Moines. Until then, more to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey...I was romantically linked to Bill around '92 also...did he give her Leaves of Grass too???

Olga said...

Why didn't you share this blog with me??? I had to hear it from Bill, and let me tell you - he is pissed that all 45 copies of Leaves of Grass he handed out in '92 are about to come right back to him! Way to dime him out, J., you player hater!