Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Almost

It's less then 48 hours until the caucuses start, and things are about as clustered as they ever were. The Dems are still bunched into what amounts to a three way tie with Edwards gaining points today, and the Repub candidates remain in the same positions with some slipping by front runner Hukabee and gains by Romney and McCain. These numbers come from the Zogby/Rueters/CSPAN tracking poll released this morning.

As I said in my last post, turnout tomorrow will be the key. I recently found out that the Iowa Republican National Committee does not do any "Get Out the Caucus" promotion. They rely completely on local caucus organizers to get folks out. The lack of effort by the GOP shouldn't be seen as ennui after all their caucus is really a "straw poll." The republican delegates in Minneapolis are not bound to vote for anyone in particular by the Iowans they represent. Instead they look at the results of their straw poll and use it as a guide.

Meanwhile, the Iowa Democratic Party is expecting a record turnout. Currently the weather is forecast uses bitterly cold to describe caucus night temperatures. Last night I walked less then a block when I realized my gloveless fingers went numb. The Des Moines River which flows pretty swiftly past my hotel has been slowly freezing over during the past few days. The weather has come up as the biggest concern for caucus attendance.

***

Thursday the Des Moines Register released its final tracking poll placing Obama in a the lead.

***

Mac McKay appeared on the Washington Journal and made a very interesting comment. "The smartest thing Hilary could do would be put his (Obama's) name behind her, and run as Clinton Obama '08....A lot of Republicans I have talked with are scared of that."

I can only assume that Mr McKay is not as conniving as to boost for a Clinton/Obama '08 ticket because he has some super secret plan to take them down. I think that this ticket would actually be trouble for an already troubled Republican Party. Also he made this comment just after he said, "We want Hilary Clinton, because we can beat Hilary Clinton." I think that the Republicans do feel that they can beat Hilary in '08. I don't think they can beat anyone in'08, but I do think they would love a chance to beat her up and might even manage to keep the election close if she gets the nomination.

***

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We missed you at the ball drop. No superballs this year.