Saturday, December 13, 2008

Jobs For The New Economy

I saw this guy at the corner of S. Dearborn & Monroe in Chicago Thursday. He was dragging that bundle of assorted cables down the sidewalk in The Loop. My guess is he had been "dumpster diving", or more then likely loading dock diving, gathering them. The enterprising man will likely take his collection of printer cables and cat 5 line down to the local scrap metal yard and sell the lot. I can't imagine how much he will get for it all, but the price of copper is not bad right now. It probably took him less then an hour to collect what I would guess, without insulation is about 7 or 8 lbs of copper, and that is just the current load. I can only assume he has more stashed near by.

I can't imagine that scrap metal reclamation is the best business to be in, but there are worse hustles. So if human resources needs to see you this Friday, you can always do this. Although if you are in The Loop you will have some competition.

No comments: