Thursday, January 3, 2013

Leaving Memphis

I made it to Memphis, TN and got to see my buddy last night.  It was great seeing my friend, and reconnecting after so long apart.  It was like no time had passed.

My friend and I talked a lot about the problems of the world or specifically America.  He seemed to feel that the country and Memphis in particular had a burdensome problem with freeloaders.  More specifically, he felt there was a culture of people who don't try to do anything other than collect from the dole.
I disagreed, because I hold that Americans want to work and succeed, but presently there are not enough opportunities for them.  The lack of middle class jobs.

We didn't solve any problems but I did think it was god hearing his point of view. 
In any case Memphis had some serious post-industrial great recession problems that most US cities have coupled with a history of racism that might be the worst in the country.  Dr King was assassinated there and that mark is still and always be on that city. 

Across the Mighty Mississippi today and into Arkansas and the middle of the country begins in earnest.


No comments: