Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Mighty Avengers

In a few hours the Avengers movie will premier and comic books, the Marvel way will become movies, the Marvel way.  The culmination of years of behind the scenes work by Marvel Entertainment will reach fruition with this film.  Even before Iron Man came out Marvel has been working hard to gather its various properties and place them back into their own tent so they could make a movie like this one.  Four individual movie franchises team-up and take aspects of those individual movies to form a plot in this one super movie.  I am stoked.

I'm stoked because the Avengers were always my team.  I consider Avengers 248 as my first comic.  Not because it was my actual first comic I ever read or owned, but it was the first comic I collected.

None of the Avengers in this issue, in fact it is a pretty weak team by most standards.  Vision leads the team of Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Captain Marvel, and Starfox.  You, probably do not know any of those characters, and I certainly didn't at the time either.  The story in the issue is the middle to an arc that began a couple of issues earlier and would end in a "double size spectacular" with issue 250. 

I'm not really sure why this issue made such an impression on me.  It might have been the grand scope of things.  The Eternals history was fantastic.  I think it is the villan Maelstrom, who at the end of the issue beckons a shadow creature Deathurge to kill him rather than face capture.  A double twist reveals Deathurge ressurecting a clone of Maelstrom who will complete his scheme another time.  Comic Book Villany, I love it. 

While October 1984 is the connected date it probably came out in mid summer, July or August, which would make me 8 years old. I was prime time for comics. I probably would have imprinted on anything I read at that point. It just so happened it was the Avengers. Flash forward 28 years and I am about to see my childhood heroes exposed to the largest audience they could get, powered by the biggest hype machine imaginable. There is a part of me, that pain in the ass juvenile jealous part that wants to keep the Avengers mine, but mostly I am super stoked to see what I know will be an awesome action movie featuring my favorite team of heroes since I was eight years old. I am stoked.

No comments: